It’s time to let you in on a little secret called ‘Sleepy Dust’ – I had heard of this several years back and just filed it in my back pocket. Recently I just started using it along with my essential oils to help me sleep better, and IT IS AWESOME! I did a Facebook Live on my page a couple weeks ago, you can watch my video below:
The quick version is that, especially if you are waking up between 2:00 – 4:00am, it’s likely because your body is releasing a flood of stress hormones (adrenaline) and waking you up. Putting a pinch of ‘sleepy dust’ under your tongue, which contains just what your body needs to calm down in the form of salt and sugar, can put those stress hormones to rest and help you fall back asleep quickly. Read more about how and why Sleepy Dust works here.
You can use 5:1 or 6:1 ratio of sugar to salt… so for instance, you could use 5 teaspoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt for your mixture. Keep it in a resealable bowl by your bedside so it’s nearby if you wake up in the middle of the night.
I recently realized if I put a pinch of this under my tongue BEFORE I go to bed (I usually do it right before I brush my teeth), I either don’t wake up at all, or I can’t remember waking up because I was so out of it when I did, haha!
When I combine using Sleepy Dust with using my favorite essential oils for sleep, those are my BEST NIGHTS OF SLEEP!! Here are some of my most favorite oils to calm my body down before bed:
- Tranquil Roll On
- Stress Away
There are many others you can try, but those are my faves. To use the oils, I choose one of them and put it on my wrists, the back of my neck, and behind my ears. Then I put a pinch of Sleepy Dust under my tongue, and it is sayonara until tomorrow!!
(If you have Young Living’s Premium Starter Kit, you already have Stress Away and Lavender!!)
Some other tips I find helpful to get a good night’s rest (I sound like an old person, but these are really helpful for me!!)
- Make sure your room is cool. We turn down the temp at night in the house, and it really helps.
- Block artificial lights in your room, whether they are coming from outside or even something in your room like an alarm clock.
- Don’t look at a screen too late!! I realized a while back if I use my computer or phone before bed, I ALWAYS have a much harder time falling asleep. Shut down those devices well before you want to go to bed.
- Don’t drink too much too late – this means waking up to use the potty!
- Don’t eat a heavy meal too late – it’s hard to sleep when it feels like you have a lead balloon in your belly!
Not sleeping well is an issue that affects so many of us, these small changes can REALLY help calm your body down so you get a better night of sleep. I’d love to know if any of these changes help you or if you have more tips to share!!
And if you still need oils in your life, grab a Young Living Premium Starter Kit, and you’ll already have 2 of my favorite oils for sleep, Stress Away and Lavender!!
Please share if you got value from this post – good sleep is definitely a difference-maker! ❤️